Thursday, August 7, 2008

August whirlwind

Even though we’re only seven days into August, it feels like it’s already over. I look at my Outlook calendar, and it is FILLED. I don’t remember having a free weekend. I can’t complain though, it makes my life far more interesting… but I could use a free weekend.

Where do I begin? I recently took up a job as a band manager for Matt's band. He began his quest for rock stardom since we graduated from high school and has yet to land that dream gig. A few months ago, his band, Us Versus Them (UVT) (www.myspace.com/usversusthemband) took a very different direction by going from an acoustic rock band to a heavy metal band. In fact, the band actually sounds really tight! I decided to manage the band so I can help them book gigs and hopefully get the band to the next level. I don’t know much about the music industry, but I know that I can help Matt focus on singing and writing music rather than juggling too many things. In any event, the band played its first show last night at Abbey Lounge in Somerville. It was a real face melter. UVT is also picked to play in the 2008 RJL Memorial Fund Battle of the Band on Aug. 16th at the Memorial Hall in Plymouth (www.rjlmemorialfund.org). This is an amazing opportunity for the band and I’m really excited about the band’s bright future.

Let’s see…oh yeah, yesterday was my 28th birthday. Yup, I am officially old. When you’re tumbling downhill after 25, you basically brace yourself before you crash into the 30th wall of crisis. That’s pretty much how I viewed it. My co-workers at work bought me cookies from Flour and sang me a birthday song, which was nice. Adie bought me a cook book called “Food Network’s Favorite Kitchen Recipe”, which was also very nice. Otherwise, I didn’t do much because it was Wednesday, I worked all day and had to go see UVT play their first show. However, this Friday, Adie and I are getting dinner at Kelly’s and watching the new Batman movie on IMAX, so that should be a real treat.

This month, we have not only one, but THREE weddings to attend. The happy couples are,

Kyle & Erica
Chris & Christina
Amanda & Tony

We’re all very happy for the couples but damn, seriously?! What’s so cool about August? Not much. It’s hot as hell and too many people are August babies… let’s see, there’s Wally….. my mother-in-law…. Rachel…. Catlin…. Keiran………. That’s already five people who are very close to us. FIVE. I don’t have any problems with birthdays but it just seems so many! I don’t remember knowing this many people to celebrate birthdays for in just one month. I guess that’s what happens when you’re married though… events like weddings and birthdays just exponentially grow in numbers.

Last weekend (yeah, I know, this isn’t going in any chronological order, but trust me, it makes this blog much more interesting.. kinda like my month of August schedule), Adie and I were invited up to Fairlee Lake in Vermont where my in-laws rented a lake house. It was beautiful. We were there from Wednesday through Saturday so it was a nice long break—a much needed break for me since I am getting swamped at work. Enjoy the pictures. I need a vacation in September.












1 comment:

Laura said...

So pretty and peaceful!
Your blog is the only one we've been able to view in China! We can't even view or edit our own! It's so weird - we used to have so much information at our fingertips, and now it's like the Internet's broken.
Have a happy, busy August!