For a movie like this, I knew we had to watch it on IMAX. A couple of our friends watched it in the ginormous screen and swore by it. Because of so much hype around this movie, I didn't want to miss out or sit in a bad seat, so we arrived for our 10 o'clock show at 8:30pm. We were the first in line... Although it was $25 per ticket, I can tell you with absolutely 100% confidence that this was, by far, one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. Adie felt the same way. Watching this film on IMAX was like..... gosh, I can't even compare it to anything because it's so damn good! The seats rumbled with bass vibration whenever a gun was fired in the film. The seats rumbled when the Batman rode his Tumbler or his bike. When the scenes were captured from the sky overlooking the city, you felt like you were flying because of the enormous screen of IMAX.
But let's assume that the movie wasn't playing in IMAX. It was still 100 times better than all other superhero movies. Spiderman? Pleeeease. He looks like a sissy compared to Batman's ass kicking ways of dealing with the bad guys. The plot was incredibly well written. There were so many great lines that Adie and I couldn't stop talking about it on the way back home. The action sequences were amazing. I think the reason why I loved this movie so much was because most superhero movies are filmed with CGI--computer graphics! Sure they're nice but it lacks the nitty gritty and downright dirty feel to action sequences. The Dark Knight (and the Batman Begins) rarely relies on CGI, thereby making the action shots much more realistic and true to its form.
And wow, let me get on the bandwagon for Heath Ledger's incredible performance as The Joker. I was skeptical at first because I didn't think anyone could possibly out perform Jack Nicholson as The Joker, but I was blown away but his rendition. It was just utterly mesmerizing. I knew he was a good actor, especially after I watched him in Brokeback Mountain, but man... he stole this movie and took it to his grave. That's how good he was.
It was expensive, but this movie was worth every penny and we plan on buying the DVD as soon as it comes out. If you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?!

2 comments:
Wasn't it seamless? I love it when they have themes and drive them through to the end - and it made you feel what real terrorism is, without any sense or rhyme. We loved it too - but we went with Matt's folks who said it was too long and missed the old campy Batman. And Harvey two-face, finally done right!
Oos, that's Laura, not Matt - I didn't know he was logged in.
Post a Comment