Last night, while we were watching TV, a commercial for Grand Theft Auto 4 came on and I got instantly excited.
"See?! That's the reason why I should buy a Play Station 3!" I said to Adie as I pointed to the TV. I haven't owned a video console since Super Nintendo, which was nearly two decades ago, but lately, I've been itching to buy a console so that I can play Rockband and a list of games that I would normally play at my friends' house.
"No. You're not getting a PS3 if you're buying that game." said Adie without even looking at me as she stared at the TV screen.
I was totally speechless. "Uh... whaat?!" Grand Theft Auto is by far, one of the best video games I have ever played. I've been playing GTA since college and the latest installment to this franchise is the one that every GTA fan has been waiting for. If there was a single reason why I should buy a video game console, this game would justify that reason perfectly. What other game allows you to commit random acts of most horrific violence and your only goal is to survive the gang of cops who are trying to arrest, er, execute you? It's every man's dream!
"What's wrong with Grand Theft Auto?! It's a video game!" I said. I thought this whole conversation felt really really weird. I felt like I was talking to my mom.
"Would you want your teenage son playing this game?" she asked sternly.
"No, of course not. They wouldn't play this game until they're in college. Honey, this is a video game, the shit happens in virtual world--it's not real!"
She kept staring at the TV screen and ignored me. When she ignores me, it usually means that the conversation is over and it wouldn't matter what I'd say.
PS3 is an expensive game console, and that's not including the games that I would need to purchase, which are about $50 a pop. Furthermore, if I bought one, it would eat up my TV time that's already cut by half with Adie's favorite shows. We recently purchased a DVR box from Comcast so that she could watch her recorded shows while I watched live sports games.
The only solution is to buy another TV, which would mean that we'd have to move. The bottom line is, I don't need it and I can't have it. In the end, I'm saving money, avoid getting fat and lazy playing video games and I make us happy.
Adie's ignorance, sometimes, works wonders for my thoughts.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Haha, I hear you. Ive been delaying forever on getting one of the newer consoles for the same reasons of $$$ and time. Although Jinny has considered us getting a Wii as its something we would all enjoy together.
Post a Comment