Adie and I have been looking to get a dog for quite some time now. If there was a right time for us to get a dog, now would be it. Adie recently quit her job and she's planning on taking a month off from working. It would allow for her to raise the new puppy if we decided to adopt one.
But as usual, we have some concerns.
First of all, we love big working dogs. She grew up with Maya, a Chocolate Lab. I also had a dog that was a mixed breed when I was a kid. Unfortunately, we live in a small apartment that may be unsuitable for a big dog.
But more importantly, we have Roxie--a sickly little cat who has asthma and a heart that's three times the normal size. When we adopted Adie's sister's kitten Dusty, he harassed Roxie so much so that she stopped using the litter box for a month. Needless to say, we had to give away Dusty to a friend.
Our only choice seemed to be a medium sized dog. I recently had one of my good friends over for a little jam session when he decided to bring his dog Chico. He's a medium sized dog that was very gentle and well trained. Roxie didn't seem to mind (well, she was hiding in our bedroom so actually, we don't know, but we're hoping that she'd be okay).
Anyways, he connected us with one of his co-workers who was looking for an owner who could adopt her pekenise(?) mix puppy. I normally don't like toy dogs, so initially, I wasn't interested. However, after doing some research online, we found some really cute pictures of pekenise mix dogs. Normally, we'd see a picture of this dog and decide right then and there but she didn't have one, so we were basically forced to drive to E. Boston to check out Kona.
Kona was a hyper dog. He ran around and around and around and around. It was tiring. He was definitely a cuter puppy than I had expected but still, Adie and I both looked at each other and knew it right away--Kona would harass the shit out of Roxie.
Now we're back to the drawing board. We've been thinking about a Beagle. They're perfect size and smart if they're well trained. The only downside to a Beagle is that they howl like crazy. It would drive our apartment neighbors crazy.
We just want a really smart dog that's not too big and doesn't require too much outdoor activities.... I know, I know... our preference really limits the choices.
Ugh, the search continues...
Monday, April 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
don't get any of the follow dogs-
malteses or yorkies (yappers)
cocker spanales (stupid)
a lot of terriers are very nippy- they would never go after their owners but everyone else is fair game (especially children).
i love otto but some pugs (not all pugs) can be hyper (like otto can be when anyone so much looks at his general direction) and the fawns shed like mofos. a black pug would be a good dog to get. they are usually very mellow and they do not shed as much because they only have one coat.
weiner dogs are also nice, little, dogs to get and they come in different fur style variety (such as short vs. long hair).
Hey Dave,
Don't get the Beagle, they are extremely smart and get bored very easily. They will tear apart your apartment if you guys ever leave for a bit. You want the dumbest dog possible, a dog that won't know you've left the apartment when you've gone to work :)
Michael
Post a Comment