I always thought of cooking as something as intimidating as a bar exam. I've never tried it nor was I ever interested in it.
Since our marriage, our work schedule has basically forced me to cook on my own in order to save money and also eat more healthily. I cooked a little when I was living with Mich and Justin in Brookline but I mostly reheated and microwaved.
It turns out, I had a deep subconscious interest in cooking. These days, I'm constantly watching the Food Network and learning how to cook by watching shows like, Good Eats, Iron Chef America, Throwdown with Bobby, Made to Order, Everyday Italian. In fact, when I left Tenacity, one of the board members gave me a natural food cook book as a parting gift.
I try to schedule our week's dinner on Sundays and do the grocery shopping all in one day. I try to cook mostly all-natural and organic ingredients. Because Adie's a vegetarian--and I don't mind vegetarian dishes--I try to cook mostly vegetarian leaning dishes. In fact, two of my best dishes are vegetable stir-fry and vegetable soup. When Adie's away in class, I cook myself chicken or steak.
I know all this sounds like a very cliche married man's life but seriously, this shit is a lot of fun. I eat better and learning about food really helps me understand cultures of different societies. I love it.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment