Wednesday, February 20, 2008

With Gentle Retaliation. A post by the other Paek.

It is with loving intent and gentle retaliation that I write this post- it also happens to be very reluctantly.
When Dave wanted to start a blog about our life together, I figured it would be cute and cuddly and talk about all of the fun things that we do together. Little did I know that its actual purpose is to serve as Dave’s personal bitch fest. Although, I guess I should have expected it. I have heard tales of past blogs where the wrath of Dave has been unleashed, so I guess my shock is only matched by my naivety that my husband is as gentle with public words as he is with me.

That being said, I’d like to set the record straight on a few things:

The Nintendo DS game
Did I buy it? Yes.
Did I buy it despite my husband’s protests? Yes.
The real questions here are why……..
Why? Because I wanted one. Because He wanted one. Because I received money for my birthday and that is what I wanted to purchase with it. It all seems pretty harmless to me…..


Cooking
“Adie doesn't like anything spicy--most Korean dishes are extremely spicy--and she's very picky about what she likes for dinner”

“As if she does most of the cooking. In fact, I probably cook more than she does…”

This is all true. I cannot dispute this. However, I would like to point out that I do not cook nearly as much as Dave because I am not home nearly as much as he is. In addition to working full time at an oh so thankless job, I go to school full time at night.

I’d also like to point out that the only Korean cooking that has ever really taken place in our kitchen has been done by yours truly—that’s right-- the white girl who doesn’t like spicy food is making authentic Korean dishes that can scorch tongues and singe lashes. As previously mentioned, I do not care for spicy foods therefore I end up eating very watered down versions which usually leaves me crossing the hall to our neighbors apartment where I raid her fridge. All that being said, Dave is defiantly coming into his cooking skills and I appreciate having a hot meal to come home to after class.


Finally, there is the issue of The AM Radio
"Adie hates talk radio – especially NPR"
Let's get one thing straight—I do not hate NPR - I hate NPR at 6:30. In fact, I hate all radio at 6:30am—no, no, not all radio—all noise!

There are very few sounds that I can handle first thing in the morning.
The sound of my cat purring at the foot of the bed, my husbands breathing, the teapot gurgling—this is about all that I can handle in the early AM.

There is no doubt that NPR is an important informational outlet but even those of you who are screaming liberals should, at some point during the day, allow yourself to be one with your own thoughts.

What better time to do this then first thing in the morning? Before you ingest your daily dose of toxins via processed foods, or develop a case of road rage, before you hear about the three car pile up on the Pike, or realize that you can't find your keys or forgot to take out the trash that is now rotting under the sink -take the first twenty minutes of your day to be tolerant of your own thoughts.

The news of the world will still be there, you aren't going to miss anything that they won't repeat twice hourly for the next 3 days. Crime, war, presidential debate, bush administration, global warming-- it's awaiting your morning tune-in-- why not let it wait a little longer?

That’s all I have to say.
-adie

No comments: